Studying and Working in Sweden

The Center of Molecular Medicine (CMM) values the fact that so many PhD students and researchers are interested in coming to Stockholm to continue their studies here in our laboratories. Today almost 500 persons work/study in our building and of these roughly 1/4 are visitors from abroad.

PhD studies

A PhD normally requires a total of four years’ full-time doctoral/third level education. Studies can be pursued in parallel with clinical practice or the like, but must be concluded within four years (for a licentiate degree) or eight years (for a PhD degree). Progress is checked annually, and there is a more thorough half-time control (or licentiate examination) after the equivalent of two years’ full-time study. The PhD is awarded on the submission of a thesis subject to its passing a public defence. A licentiate degree is defended at a licentiate seminar.


– Contact your hosting department at an early stage for advice and information about accommodation
– Make sure you have a valid passport
– Apply for visa/permit at least two months in advance. Make sure your permit is stamped in your passport (only for non-EU citizens)
– If you are an EU-citizen bring your health insurance certificate (EU-card) or a certificate stating that you cannot get the EU card
– Bring work and study certificates
– Bring documentation stating your civil status and birth certificates of children
– Remember to renew your native driver’s license. You can use it for one year
in Sweden. If you are a non EU-citizen you must get a Swedish license after the first year or apply for extension
– Make sure to bring any prescription medications that you will need on yourtrip


– Have you passed the TOEFL or IELTS test? The test is generally required for Master students

There are three Swedish authorities that an incoming postgraduate student and guest researcher has to contact before and after arrival to Sweden. The following guide gives you the necessary information and lists the requirements for each authority and matter. More detailed information can be obtained from the different links to the right.

Step 1: The Swedish Migration Board
Visa (for stay up to three months), residence and work permit (for stay longer than three months).

Step 2: The Tax Agency
A personal identity number granted by the Tax Agency is a necessity if you would like to get access to the Swedish health care system, make a telephone subscription, apply for a loan, register for a driving licence etc.

Personal identity number is granted to a postgraduate student and a researcher staying for a year or longer. If the stay is shorter than a year a special co-ordination number can be granted in some cases.

Step 3: The Swedish Social Insurance Agency
Registration and registration of income. Compensation for absence from work due to child care and illness etc.

Registration as Postdoc

According to KI regulation, applicable from 31 October 2009, all Postdocs are to be centrally registrered. You will find all information necessary to perform your postdoc registration on the KI webpage.

Requirements for entry visa to Sweden for a visit lasting up to three months:

No visa or other permit is required.

Non EU-citizen:
Visa must be applied for at a Swedish embassy or consulate in your country of residence, using the application form for a Schengen Visa. For most applicants it costs 60 euro (approximately SEK 550) to submit a visa application at a Swedish mission abroad. Schoolchildren, students in higher education, research students and their accompanying teachers – on condition that the purpose of the trip is studies or education as well as researchers – on condition that the purpose of the trip is scientific research, are exempted from paying a fee. Remember to enclose an invitation from host at KI with your application, and a certificate showing an individual travel medical insurance. A visa is time-limited and is valid for a maximum of three months in any six-month period. This means that if you have spent three months in the Schengen area you must leave the area for three months in order to be granted a new Schengen visa. The handling time for a visa application is normally 4-6 weeks, and during the holiday period June-August it could take longer. To be certain that you will receive your visa in time, submit your application at least two months before you are due to travel to Sweden. Fore more information about visa procedures, see link – Swedish Migration Board.

Research workers

Detailed information about requirements for research workers can be found on the webpage of the Swedish Migration Board.




CMM Research Groups




Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases